Friday, April 12, 2013

Summer Vacation Story Problems


Raise your hand if you’ve had these Mad Girl Math story problems on your test for self-worth:

February 1:  There are three months until my vacation.  I need to lose 25 pounds.  How many pounds must I lose per week to be thin enough to be happy and enjoy my vacation?  Answer: Approximately two pounds per week.

March 1:  There are only two months left until my vacation.  I still need to lose 25 pounds.  How many pounds can I lose per week if I exercise two hours per day and eat only celery, thereby being worthy and happy on my vacation?  Answer:  Approximately three pounds per week.

April 15:  I have only two weeks left until my vacation.  I still need to lose 25 pounds.  I am screwed.  How many Coronas must I drink (substitute “shoes must I buy, cigarettes must I smoke, Peanut M&M’s must I eat”) to make me forget about the fact that I am a loser and unworthy to wear a swim suit?  Answer:  an endless amount.

Many thanks to those of you with your hands in the air.  Please come sit next to me at the table I’m beating my head against.
I have been working on these math problems since January, when we planned our vacation for this summer – a vacation that includes beaches and swimming pools, and by default, swimming suits – with people I know and respect.  People I sometimes deem “greater than” me.  But this week I made the risky decision to throw the test in the trash.  I’ve taken this same test – and failed – before every vacation of my adult life.  (Not to mention class reunions, which I’ve come to believe should be held on Skype, with camera-views from the neck-up.) Even when I pass the test I fail, because when the event is over, I forget what I learned, and put the same 25 pounds right back on.
I am constantly confused by problems where I count the days “until I am happy.”  I’ve decided to be happy now.  In the place of these two story problems, I’ve given myself two short essay assignments per day, plus a bonus activity.  I’ve always been better at English than math, anyway.

1.       Upon opening my eyes each morning I will write down three things for which I am grateful.

2.      Before going to bed each night I will write down three things that went well that day, and what role I played in those things going well.

3.      I will create a “gratitude jar.”  This is a transparent glass jar or vase, next to which I will place a small notepad.  Each time I walk past the jar, I will write one word on a piece of paper – a thing for which I am grateful.  I will fold the paper into a small square, and drop it in the jar.  I will watch the jar fill up day by day, hour by hour, as my heart simultaneously fills with gratitude and gladness.  I will invite my family members and guests at my home to drop paper in the jar, as well -- to share in their gratitude.
I will abandon my quest for perfection with a date-stamp; but I will not abandon my commitment to focusing on my long-term wellness.  I owe it to myself to be well.  So as I mindfully choose fresh, whole foods over things from a box, a bag, a tube, a can or a drive-thru window, I will do so because I am deserving, not because I am unworthy and need to be fixed.  As I walk or run or ride a bicycle, I will do so because I am able, and because doing so will enhance my ability to experience life joyfully, not because I am running out of time to achieve arbitrary goals I believe will bring happiness.  I will look forward to my vacation, and then I will enjoy it.  Because I have earned it.
Is anyone else willing to throw the test in the trash?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great suggestions! I'm going to try the gratitude jar!
Thanks, Juls!
D

Unknown said...

What awesome ideas! I am going to challenge myself AND my best friend to this. Thank you!

Mama said...

I have to be honest and admit to using the numbers today in reference to my summer vacation...you know the one, Juls! Beach, pool, sexy, hot Mediterranean! Looked at the calender today to see how may weeks were left until I had to don that swimsuit! Ugh! Your words brought me back to what is real and the whole idea of being healthy. I will make the choice to begin my new exercise regimen because it is good for my cardiovascular system, and contributes to my overall physical/mental health and wellness, not because I feel insecure about the dreaded bathing suit. Thanks, Juls! By the way, love the idea of a gratitude jar. Going to start one and encourage my sister to do so as well. Love ya!