Thursday, April 11, 2013

Who's Hungry?


I’ve had the following advice about when to eat:
1.       Eat five small meals a day; don’t allow yourself to get hungry.
2.       Eat three meals a day and don’t eat until you feel hungry.
3.       Eat two meals, lunch and dinner, and then fast through breakfast.
4.       Eat your biggest meal at breakfast.
5.       Don’t eat after 5:00 p.m.
6.       Eat just before a workout.
7.       Wait to eat for an hour after your workout so your body burns fat.
It goes on and on.
I did not hear these things from friends at the coffee shop.  These are conflicting recommendations from doctors, sports nutritionists, health bloggers and authors of best-selling diet books.  It’s mind-boggling.  And I’m not even touching the subject of what to eat.  Just the simple question, “Should I eat now?”
At this point you may be wondering why I would consult professionals – scientists, even -- to tell me when to eat.  I am not alone.  I recently read about a computer you wear all day on your arm.  It tells you exactly how many calories you’ve burned, and when and what to eat next.  (“You have 25 calories available now; eat a cucumber.”) 
I made a commitment not to count for 30 days.  But without the Mad Girl Math, how am I supposed to know when to start eating?  And when to stop? 
What if I just eat when I’m hungry, and stop when I’m satisfied?  Because, as my friend Kyla says, “This is anarchy.”
I run a company, consult others on how to run theirs, raise a child and file taxes.  Surely I can trust myself to know when I’m hungry.  Google the phrase, “What does hunger feel like?” and you’ll find scores of entries from counters like me who don’t know if they’re hungry or not.  Worse, we don’t actually care if we’re hungry or not – we just want to know whether or not it’s OK to eat now.  Do we get to eat now? 
I’d like to issue a challenge.  Let's get in touch with the feeling of hunger.  And for the duration of this 30-day test, let’s eat when we’re hungry.  And then, let’s eat until we’re satisfied.  Not full.  We don’t need to be full.  We need to be satisfied.   Because if we’re taking care of ourselves – if we’re giving ourselves what we deserve – isn’t satisfied what we’re after?   
And if we’re eating when we’re not hungry, let’s ask ourselves this question:  What pleasure am I getting from this? This is the question, my friends.  I have a feeling the answers might be painful.  But the truth is, the numbers don’t stop me from eating.  They just give me a reason to beat myself up when I do eat.  The numbers aren’t working, and they are wearing me out.
Who's hungry?

7 comments:

Allen said...

Ok I am in on that deal. Just so hard when I walk into that buffet and all that food is staring me right in the face. No I am not hungry gut I sure do want to taste everything. I think bordom makes you hungry too but I have smoking to conquer that issues. In all honesty I kind of started this process this week with some amazing results. I started out wanted to control my portion size but that would be counting so imspired by your blog I have been letting my stomach stop my hand from grabbing one more handful or a few more pieces because I am not hungry anymore it is just there and tastes damn good. It is working for me and I am going to keep at it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Julia Hook said...

I'm with you, Al. It tastes good. But if taste is what I'm after, why am I not satisfied with the taste? Why must I stuff myself with it? I suppose it's an exercise in awareness. And I'm glad you're giving it a shot. We can learn together.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia Hook said...

Petronella, I'm so honored that you're in. Nice to meet you. Let's rock this self-rewarding process together.

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you as well :)

NoToxRox said...

So true Julie. Like so many other facets of our lives we have become disconnected. Being unaware of one our most basic, primal functions -hunger- indicates how far removed from our natural selves most people are. If we watch children we can learn a lot. They run hard, play hard, rest hard and eat when they remember to. Then we force them to finish meals, eat at set times etc like we were made to and soon enough they become disconnected as well. Like Petronella I've had my issues with food and now I love food for the nourishment it gives me, I do not fear it anymore. Don't get me wrong I still am tempted by a bag of chips or chockies but they have no place in my home. If I see them in your home I will devour them but I keep the crap away from me. Soon enough you don't crave it anymore. Hunger is an important tool. I regularly do intermittent fasting to give my digestion a break and to let my body heal itself. Idon't feel hungry for at least 18hrs and then that feeling is fantastic because you feed your body when it needs it. You choose the right foods and your energy levels soar. Great Blog Jules.

Mama said...

NoToxRox brings up a good point about watching children. They are so in tune with their true selves, no counting, judging. And they eat when they are hungry. I see parents, grandparents forcing children to eat and the struggles that ensue. Perhaps this does lead to a disconnect. Perhaps this contributes to some children's' lifelong struggles with food.